Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Point of Interest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Posts
    807
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Point of Interest

    I do not know what VA. state clinic mandated areas of interest were this year but in North Carolina, the director of officials has mandated cleaning up the post play.
    Any time a defender puts a forearm into an offensive man, on the post or out front, it is a foul. NO WARNINGS!!
    An offensive man can no longer raise his elbow or use his forearm to post up a defensive man. OFFENSIVE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!!
    If an offensive and defensive man intangle or lock up after a free throw, DOUBLE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!
    An offensive man can only SQUARE his body in front of a defender, he cannot move the defender off a spot the defender has established position on. OFFENSIVE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!
    I hope the car is warm when I leave the gym. This could be a death sentence for some officials. LOL! All these big redneck fans around here are going to go ape-sh*t!
    I know they want to clean it up but damn...this is going to be tough the first few weeks. The biggest thing will be consistentance on both ends. The coaches know the changes since they are required to attend the meetings as well.
    I have to admit, I still play 2-3 times a week and pushing and shoving in the post is how I survived on the court. If I played now with officials, I would not last 1 quarter.
    Reasoning: "Officials enforce the rules of basketball, they are not coaches. Pushing and shoving is used by players to gain the advantage on another player. Anyone that uses aggressiveness to gain the advantage is in violation of the rules. Aggressive play in the post has ruined the game of basketball and leads to aggressive play in other theatres of play. North Carolina has some of the best talent in basketball and we have the best training for officials in the country and you WILL stop this kind of basketball. If you do not have the courage to put air in the whistle and stop the aggressive play in the post, we will find someone who can!"

    GOD HELP US!

    This one I agree on; NO HOTDOGGING, TRASH TALKING, INTIMIDATING or ANY UNSPORTSMANLIKE ACTION....including dunking and pointing at an opposing team...results- TECHNICAL FOUL, AUTOMATIC EJECTION, annnnnnnd a TWO GAME SUSPENSION.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Point of Interest

    Why even have post players then?... Might as well teach every player to be a guard.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Point of Interest

    About time they got back to real basketball. If I wanted to watch a contact sport, I'd choose football. RC's best shooter on the girls side is out for a year due to this type shoving to get position. Hope it comes to VA.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Point of Interest

    Thank God , back to basketball and away from wrestling. This would really cut into a couple of programs that have molested centers for years, if we were that smart.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Point of Interest

    As if there is enough consistancy in VA officiating for a 'point of interest' to make a difference.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Point of Interest

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As if there is enough consistancy in VA officiating for a 'point of interest' to make a difference. </div></div>
    I thought the 3rd ref would help, but it seems that they just stand around waiting on the other person. You can get a touch foul in the lane on one end and the other guy will let'em mug them. You just really have a hard time adjusting to the reffing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •